HOUSE CHURCH QUESTIONS
1. Share with one another any challenges or blessings you experienced this past week.
Lucas focused on three things in his message: the posture of prayer (v. 26), the power of prayer (v. 27), and the purpose of prayer (v. 28).
2. What posture (that is, attitude and disposition) did Hannah have when she prayed (see 1 Sam. 1:15, 26)? Read Psalm 62:8 and discuss the posture that God desires us to have when we pray. How can “pouring out our heart before the Lord” be a way of trusting God?
3. Verse 27 shows us the power of prayer: God gave Hannah a son because she asked him. Lucas emphasized this key principle: “Prayer causes things to happen that would not happen if we did not pray,” and then shared an example from campus ministry. Share personal or historical examples of this principle with reference also to James 4:2 and Ephesians 3:20.
4. Is there anything you are asking God for specifically, this year, for yourself, your family, community, city, province, country, or world, that you would like to share with the others?
5. Hannah demonstrated the purpose of prayer (v. 28), by giving Samuel to the Lord and then worshipping (“she worshipped,” Dead Sea Scrolls). In what ways is prayer an act of worship? What might it look like for us to worship the Lord when we pray?
6. Sometimes God doesn’t answer our prayer, even though we pour out our hearts to him. Has this every happened to you? If so, how did it affect you? God answered Hannah’s prayer, which led to Jesus through David and Samuel, but God did not answer Jesus’ prayer in Gethsemane, “Father, if it be possible, let this cup [of suffering] pass from me” (Luke 22:44). Reflect on this together. How does God provide for us when he chooses not to answer our prayers? ( see 2 Corinthians 12:8-9).
Note: You might like to play one of the hymns we sung on Sunday (This is Amazing Grace, Yes and Amen, or Before the Throne of God Above) over Zoom. It may work best to download it from iTunes to your computer and “share” it from there, rather than playing it from YouTube.
To listen to any of our current or past sermons, please CLICK HERE or click on the Sermons tab (just click on the Head Phone icon to listen)